Sunday, November 15, 2009

Back after three weeks!

After a longish absence, AWoS is back. If you are interested in excuses and/or mysterious explosions, read on.

Basically, three weeks ago I dropped my laptop, upon which was all my work, research, and so forth. I picked it up, stood, and for whatever reason opened my hands. The hard drive is mostly functional, but it seems that there is an enormous section of the disk that can no longer be read or written. That enormous section included the boot sector and most of Windows.

In this way, that computer can not be started until I can afford a new hard drive.

But I have a desktop machine. The trouble is that it didn't work for several months until earlier this week. (I hadn't had time to diagnose it.) Over the past few years, I have occasionally heard an enormous popping sound/small explosion right next to me as I worked. At first I thought it was a faulty outlet, but that turned out not to be. Then I thought that my shelves might be collapsing. Nope.

When I finally went to fix my desktop machine, I discovered why.



Capacitor plague! There are eight--count 'em, eight--faulty capacitors on my video card. This is probably not good. (On the other hand, I'm impressed that it still ran with seven of them gone.)

Anyway, I am currently running with an old (ca. 2000) video card that is good enough, and will be posting regularly again! I have a bunch of special features planned, so get ready!
**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment