Thursday, October 8, 2009

AWoS Vol. 0, No. 1 -- A beginning

Welcome to Another Week of Science! This blog is intended to be a little newsletter-style thing in which I can compile all the neat science stuff I encounter over the course of each week. This will save me having to tell everyone I know about everything I learn... of course, I still will, because I'm kind of a geek that way, but at least when I get boring they can say, "yeah, I read that on your blog, so shut up already."

I intend to do this in a popular science style. Enough details for you to understand it, but generally not a ton of math or really weird stuff. If there are background things that my mom wouldn't know, then I'll include those.

What is this not? It's not a technology blog. I don't much like what most people call technology. Music players make me yawn. The physics underlying the solid state memory used in music players makes me giddy. New, fancy cell phones? Meh. But the theory of how phone traffic is directed is amazing. You get the idea.

Why do this? As I said, I'm a geek for science. Every little detail of the world interests me, and the people who study those details are my heroes. As my degree comes to an end, I'm finding myself with a bit of free time and little to do with it. Having free time makes me edgy now. (That's why they call it advanced edgycation.) So hopefully this will help fill the gaps.




I have been thinking about posting some of the experiments I dream up. There are things all around us that no one knows and no one has bothered to investigate. Many of these will be science fair material; others will be more complex. These will fit in between the weekly updates as I find time/think of them.

I'd also like to do a little series on scientists you have never heard of but who are still pretty important. It's Nobel week right now, and at no other time is it more obvious that we just don't celebrate scientists enough. A friend of mine joked that NBC should buy the rights to broadcast the Nobel announcements and shift the time to prime time in America.

This is a great idea! We could have professional scientists doing a pre-game should, like Monday Night Football, in which they talk about famous discoveries or great researchers who have not yet been honoured, and then they could show the proceedings live on international TV! There could be call-in segments where viewers can ask questions, live polls to encourage audience participation, and all sorts of awesome science being shown to the world. (Maybe I will ramble about this further in a future post.)




I hope you enjoy my writing, add it to your RSS reader or bookmarks list, and I really hope you comment on the things I post. If I can get a dozen people reading each week, I'll be pretty happy. If it ever got as high as a hundred, that would be incredible. Well, credible, because let's face it, lots of blogs have than many followers, but exciting enough to warrant the hyperbole.

Regular updates begin Sunday, October 11.
**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment